Thursday, January 26, 2012

just call me nonnie

In less than a month, I will become a grandma. I have decided to be called "nonnie". The name is endearing to me because that is what my mother was called by our children. I will now carry on the name "nonnie" and not only be thrilled when I hear my grandchildren call me that, but also know that I am carrying on a tradition that started a generation ago in my family. I never knew my mom's mother, who I was named after. She was Teresa and I am Theresa. I am not sure why my mom changed the spelling when she named me. My grandmother died when my mom was 18 years old. She never got to be a grandmother. Without exception, every person I know who is a grandparent says it is the most wonderful experience in all the world. I can hardly wait. I am counting down the days to when the phone rings and Emily calls to say her labor has begun. I will hang up the phone, book my flight and head to California to meet my grandson.  26 years ago I gave birth to Emily in California. Hard to believe....my baby is having a baby. I like to think of him as our baby. I always taught Emily that she had to share her belongings. Hope she remembers her manners and will share her son with his nonnie. I take claim to him. My grandson. I love how that sounds. Oh, I mean our grandson... I need to share him too!!


Emily at 37 Weeks



Stay tuned... I will be bragging soon and boring you with a multitude of photos of THE most beautiful baby boy in all the world!!

1 comment:

  1. this is april folkertsma ispas! i remember you giving birth to emily...i was the first of the youth to get to see her because i was leaving for the summer. can't believe it's been that long ago...and here she is! much love to you all as you open arms and hearts to this little one.

    ReplyDelete