Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I have been watching my daughter Emily for the past 2 weeks settle into her role as a new mom.  I am so proud of her.  She is such a natural mother.  Her jobs all through high school and college were nanny jobs and those experiences, plus her maternal instincts, are sure paying off.  It so takes me back 24 years ago when Emily was born and I become a first time mother.  I know it was exhausting but what I most recall is how in love with her I was.  I remember loving what she smelled like and how much I enjoyed taking care of her.  She became my new world in a sense and I think I loved almost every minute of it.  I can remember nursing her in the church "cry room" and really thinking all the other new moms must be thinking how beautiful my daughter was!!  Is that just ridiculous?  I guess it is true, love is blind. 

Four children later I now often say I was born to be a mother.  I naturally "mother" not only my own children, but anyone in my path that will allow me to "mother" them.  I am loving my new unique role with Emily as I now am mothering a mother.  I have been able to spend her first days as a mother with her to help take care of the new momma.  I love helping to change and rock Theo to give her an often much needed break.  Paul is a wonderful father and when he is home he can't get enough of their new son.  But, when he has to go to work, I am so glad I have been here for this transition time in their lives.

her new love

so glad he is sleeping, cause I sure am not!!

love at first sight

Emily tries out her new snuggly

Theo's first car ride

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I know i was born to be a mother also. To me there is no more precious gift that being a mother. I too love mothering everyone who will let me and even those who do not want me to mother them.
    What a gift to share these precious moments watching the One you so love experience this gift from God! I am rejoicing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures! And it's true, you have been a mother to so many people, myself included (in addition to my own wonderful mother, of course!). I'll never forget the many wonderful talks we had all over the world! From Omaha, to Costa Rica, to Mozambique, your heart has touched mine and many others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily had a great example to follow, as did you! Love the pics and love & miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and reading what you write. you are so talented when it comes to expressing your feeling and I am always touched in a special way when I read it. Theo is beautiful. I watched the video you posted and you are soooo in love with that little boy. He is so lucky to be your grandson and of course my cousin!!!!

    ReplyDelete