Saturday, May 12, 2012

dancing annie

Our daughter, Annie Alice Schenzel, had her final dance production for Austin Community College this past weekend.  She has loved dance for as long as I can remember.  When Annie dances, she owns that stage.  For me, it is as if no one else is dancing but her.  My eyes are glued to her every second of her performance.  I had not seen Annie dance for several years.  She moved to Austin two years ago, and she has been taking classes at ACC since she has been in Austin.  She has also participated in many additional classes and workshops.  When she can find the opportunity to dance, she is dancing.

I could not believe how much she has blossomed as a dancer.  Her strength and poise are amazing to me.  But, for Annie, it goes way beyond sheer talent, which she has plenty of.  Dance is Annie's passion, and when you see her dance, it is a thing of beauty.  To see someone flourishing in their passion is something to behold.  It is quite a moving experience.  When that someone happens to be a very special "someone" in your life, it is downright divine.  Ty recently used that word to describe Annie dancing, and I was searching for another word, but divine is it.  It's like she was created to dance. 

As a mother, to see my daughter pursuing her passion is so satisfying.  Add to that the beauty of dance and it becomes one moving experience.  As I watched Annie dance, what I was feeling is hard to describe.  I am so very proud of her and the hours of hard work she put in to grow and develop as a dancer.  It was excrutiating at times, but when it is your passion, you endure. 

Annie's teachers at ACC have told her, "we do not want to see you here next year".  They have taken her as far as they can and now she is ready for her next step.  She has been accepted to The University of Texas's fine arts program and she will begin dancing this fall on a new stage.  You go Annie Alice Schenzel.  Your parents are so very proud of you!!!

Airborne Annie!!


Annie and I at Texas State Capital
Annie and her dance partner Trevor horsing around after the show

2 comments:

  1. Terri, do you have any videos of her dancing? I didn't know she loved it so much? I did ballet through college and my sister studied abroad for a year studying African Dance. We love to dance too!

    ReplyDelete