Monday, September 24, 2012

I had the honor of sharing at The Bridge Church's womens retreat last weekend.  What I know for sure is that I absolutely love investing in the lives of women who are coming behind me in wifehood and motherhood and ... life hood.  It just makes sense to me to take the life lessons I have learned in over 5 decades of living on this here planet, and pass on anything of value I have gained.  

One of the topics I addressed is fully embracing who God made you to uniquely be.  It has taken memany years to accept who I am and who I am not.  So often I would look at other women I respect and admire and wish I could be more like them. Wished I was more contemplative or deep or studious.  I have friends who go on spiritual retreats alone and are quiet for days at a time.  One of my worst fears in life is to go on a silent retreat.  If there are no people and no talking allowed, count me out.  That is just not who I am, but for years I thought I needed to morph into that type of women.  Now that does not mean I cannot appreciate those who are like that.  In fact, I really admire them.  That is just not how I am wired. 

I have found that I get quiet by moving,  Don't know if that makes any sense at all, but when I am riding my bike, walking on the beach and even driving in the car, I can connect with The Lord and hear better than when I am completely still.  I do get still at times and value that time too. 

I now have accepted that I love people, need people and enjoying doing most things with someone else much more than alone.  I really like to cook but I LOVE to cook with someone.  I like to shop, but I LOVE to shop with a friend.  I like to bike, but I LOVE to bike with a friend. 

It has been so freeing to embrace how I am wired and not try to change who I am.  Don't get me wrong.  I always want to grow and be challenged to develop as a woman.  I just want to do it as I embrace who I uniquely am.  So, that's it.  I will just be the best version of me and no one else.  What a relief. 

Making crepes with my neice Sydney at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment